15 W. 10th St.
Kansas City, Missouri
Historic renovation and adaptive reuse to apartments.
The Hanover Building, formerly known as the Land Bank Building, is one of the cornerstone buildings of the city's financial district. The building was constructed in 1924 and was designed specifically for the requirements of the banking community. Architects Keene and Simpson designed a most distinctive building which had an extremely narrow frontage. Their solution to the available space problem was to erect the slim, but tall building, creating mezzanine levels on both the first and twelfth floors thus adapting the space to the special needs of the tenant banking facilities. Their design was inspired by Italian Renaissance architecture, and was so appealing that it received the 1924 Business District's Gold Medal.
SWD Architects provided the schematic design, construction documents and construction administration for 49 loft style apartment units and a small finger park.
COMPLETED - 2003
EDC of KC Cornerstone Award