Established in 1935 by Herbert E. Duncan Sr. of Leawood, Kansas, Stark Wilson Duncan Architects Inc is the oldest architectural firm in the greater Kansas City area and the third oldest in the state of Missouri. In 2010 Stark Wilson Duncan Architects celebrated its 75th anniversary. Herbert E. Duncan, Sr. began as a sole practitioner, creating custom designs for the first 300 homes in what is now considered old Leawood. Duncan Sr. specialized in the design of single family residences and large multi-family housing projects.
In 1957, Herb Duncan, Jr. joined his fatherís architectural practice and began to expand its practice into other fields of architecture. In the 1960ís and 70ís residential design remained the primary focus of the firmís practice, and in the 1980ís commercial office buildings, shopping centers, educational facilities, museum design and master planning became a part of the firmís portfolio.
In 1999, Paul Stark and Tim Wilson became principal owners of the firm; under their supervision SWD has continued its ongoing dedication to each client, to each project, to architecture, and to the pursuit of excellence.
Stark Wilson Duncan Architects is a full service architectural firm with offices in the historic Country Club Plaza in Kansas City, Missouri, providing architectural design services for public, commercial and residential clients, with an emphasis on master planning, multi-family housing, historic restoration / adaptive reuse, office and restaurant design.